DoubleDay's Grille and Tavern

Last night we decided to go out with The Frog for dinner after a busy day. We ended up at DoubleDay's Grill and Tavern (199 East Alex Bell Road Centerville, OH 45459). I was amazed, for all the positive things I had heard about the place, it was very disappointed. It seemed as if it was an attempt to be like Chili's or Applebees and the ilk.

 The waitresses seemed friendly enough but walked around slowly as if they really didn't want to be there. The service was adequate, nothing about the staff seemed to stand out in my mind other than they were all...polite. The place was absolutely packed, screaming children and all. It didn't seem a very hospitable atmosphere. This is just my opinion. Some people may like it there. Maybe it was the time of day. I don't know. It just wasn't for me.

Hoping the food was better, we decided to try the burgers we had heard so much about. The Frog and I ordered the Greek Burger. It was an ok burger, taste wise, but hardly worth the $8.19 I ended up paying for each. One of the fries on my plate (fries being sliced potatos, not quite wedges but not thin little fries you get at other places) had that smell and taste of mildew that put me off eating the rest of them. The Frog was even less impressed. I won't add his comments here.

As for The Princess, the children's menu spaghetti was not worth the 4.99. It was small, bland and an hour later The Princess was saying she was still hungry. It came with 2 half slices of toast, which she seemed to enjoy more than the pasta (with just regular marinara sauce, no meat). She doesn't seem interested in returning.

We probably won't be returning to DoubleDay's any time soon, if ever.

The service: Professional-ish but not engaging.

The food: Tasty but nothing overly notable.

The price: Much higher than what we like to pay for the quality of food and lack of atmosphere

So do we like the place? Not really. We give it 4 out of 10 Stars.
 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment